5 Ways to Make Your Home Cozy This Winter
Judie Docs, Executive Officer
CSP, CMP, CGP, MCSP, MIRM, GRI
North Coast Building Industry Association (NCBIA) ncbia.com
The winter months can be a great time to tackle home improvement projects. As the weather turns cooler, you may look for ways to make your home cozier and more inviting. And with the holidays approaching, now is the time to make any improvements so gatherings at your home can be safe and comfortable for your guests.
Planning is vital to keeping your home in shape this winter. For example, if you have a significant project in mind, such as adding insulation or upgrading your heating system, you’ll need time to get several quotes from professional contractors. The NCBIA has a list of professionals with a wealth of experience and professional integrity.
If you’re ready to make your home comfortable this winter, consider the following home improvements.
- Add insulation. Insulation helps to keep your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer. If your home is not well-insulated, you’re likely wasting money on your energy bills. Adding insulation to your attic, walls, and floors is a relatively inexpensive way to improve your home’s energy efficiency.
- Seal air leaks. Air leaks can also contribute to high energy bills. Take some time to inspect your home for air leaks around windows, doors, and electrical outlets. You can seal air leaks with caulk, weatherstripping, or foam sealant.
- Upgrade your heating system. If your heating system is old and inefficient, it’s time to consider upgrading. There are many energy-efficient heating systems available on the market today. Upgrading your heating system can save you money on your energy bills and make your home more comfortable in the winter.
- Install a fireplace. A fireplace can be a great way to add warmth and ambiance to your home in the winter. If you don’t have a fireplace, consider installing one. Many types of fireplaces are available, so you can choose one that fits your needs and budget.
- Update your lighting. Soft, warm lighting can create a cozy and inviting atmosphere in your home. If your current lighting is outdated or harsh, consider updating it. There are many different types of lamps and light fixtures available, so you can choose ones that match your décor and create the desired ambiance.
When working on home improvement projects, it’s important to be safe by using the tools as instructed and wearing safety gear. And if you’re not comfortable doing the work yourself, hire a qualified contractor. For more information and tips for your home this winter, contact the NCBIA.
We are your local not-for-profit trade association representing member companies involved in all aspects of home building, remodeling, and other aspects of services available to help you in the future as well as more information on the above topic. So, you can see it is for your protection that you use a NCBIA member. If you are unsure that your contractor is a member of the NCBIA or you are looking for a list of NCBIA members, you can visit our website at www.ncbia.com – go to Members and then Member Search, or call 440-934-1090. We also have a job posting board (under the industry tab).
Visit our 24/7 Virtual Parade of Homes!!! Allows you to look at some of our builders’ new homes and communities on your mobile device or computer at your leisure (including our remodelers) We know time is our greatest asset and via our NCBIA Virtual Parade of Homes, we save you time looking for a new home or a community that fits your lifestyle. The Virtual Parade of Homes is open online 24/7. Many of the homes featured in our Virtual Parade host regular open house hours for those consumers who are looking to tour the actual homes. You can click through to builder websites to see what they have to offer.
See us on Facebook and share us!
Homeownership is truly a cornerstone of the American way of life. North Coast Building Industry – Come Build with Us!