Welcome to National Home Remodeling Month!
Jeremy Vorndran, President, North Coast Building Industry Association
As we roll into the month of May we enter National Home Remodeling Month! Many of us have spent a lot of time at home right now and we cannot wait to get back to “normal” even if it is a new type of normal. For some of us that normal might include remodeling all or part of the house that we have spent so much time in! Housing market data reveals that small, smart remodels reward homeowners with better return on investment and can help update and customize a home. A recent National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) survey of remodelers found the following five most common remodeling jobs. Check out what they show as the top five projects and see if any of them are on your list for this spring!
- Kitchen Remodels: A minor kitchen remodel can improve the look and utility of the space without costing a bundle, and yields a 75% return on investment when it come time to sell the home. Consider replacing backsplashes, cabinet fronts, countertops, and flooring. Installing low-flow faucets and energy-efficient appliance can be a very cost effective way to reduce water and energy expenses in a heavily trafficked room.
- Bathroom Remodels: A simple bathroom remodel can yield a 65% return on investment with new fixtures, tile, toilet, vanity, and lighting! Low flow toilets consume less water and can help decrease a family’s monthly water bill.
- Whole Home Remodels: Repairs and replacements of old components and the desire for upgraded amenities were cited as the top reasons for people to hire a remodeler. Evaluate the use of the entire house to see if it fits your needs. Home owners are repurposing spaces to fit their families and making more efficient use of their home’s square footage and equity rather than moving to a new home and mortgage.
- Room Additions: Room additions can be added for a variety of reasons – including a change in the number of people living in the home, multi-generational living, a desire or need for more space, or a desire to increase the home’s value. Room additions have become increasingly popular the last five years!
- Replacement Windows & Doors: Updating windows can also return a solid portion of the investment (73% for wood frames and 71% for vinyl). New, energy-efficient doors and windows also help reduce energy leakage from the home and can bring down heating and cooling bills.
Smart remodeling project for improving the home can help to make your home more comfortable for your lifestyle! Was your dream remodeling project on the list? Or did you have something else in mind to make your dream home a reality? Whatever your project may be, the North Coast Building Industry Association has the list of local professionals that can help you with any step of the project. Check out our full member list at ncbia.com or feel free to call our office at 440.934.1090 and our staff can help you with any questions you may have and we wish you the best of luck with all of your remodeling projects this spring!
Like us or better yet share us on Facebook!