Liz Schneider, President, North Coast Building Industry Association
If you’re building your new dream home or you have your current home to sell, here are some ideas to make your home more attractive to home buyers.
Here is a list of the top 13 outdoor features (by desirability) that add value to your home when it comes time to sell it:
- Landscape Maintenance – Annual mulching, trim bushes, rake leaves & dead grass
- Landscape Upgrades – Flowering shrubs, at least 2 trees, unique sidewalk (flagstone, brick), stone features
- Standard Lawn Care Service – Regular application of fertilizer, weed control, insect control
- New Patio – Backyard area – concrete, brick or flagstone (minimum 18×16 feet)
- New Deck – Attached to the home (minimum 14×18 feet)
- Tree Care – Fertilizing, spraying, trimming and pruning (tree removal if necessary)
- Landscape Lighting – LED/Solar lights around patio. Address of home. Landscape features such as trees, bushes or statues.
- Statement Landscape – Unique trees. Benches. Flower/herb gardens
- Irrigation Systems – Both lawn and/or bushes around the home
- Outdoor Kitchen – Inset grill, small refrigerator, counter top space
- Fire Feature – Outdoor fireplace (wood burning or gas). Fire pit.
- Water Feature – A fountain or fish pond
- New Pool – Depends on the area of country
The North Coast Building Industry Association has members that can help homeowners with all these projects. Check out the Consumers section of our website at www.ncbia.com/consumers. If you’re looking for a new home, explore the virtual parade of homes, available at your fingertips 24/7.